Monday, April 6, 2009

William Kentridge @ SFMOMA









I made a second visit to the William Kentridge: 5 Themes show at SFMOMA yesterday, because I was so impressed with the opening. Kentridge is a South African artist that came into prominence in the 1990's based on his political works on apartheid and colonialism, and best known for his animated stop motion films . I had been a fan of his SFMOMA video installation "Tide table", but never knew much about him until recently. Some of his animated charcoal films are almost hypnotic, showing pieces of his working process in reverse and filled with humor. Kentridge places himself in alot of his work and it didn't surprise me to read that he worked as an actor as well. The centerpiece for me is Black Box, a miniature theater extravaganza of music, animation, puppetry and lighting. The 15 minute program is worth the price of admission. I may be back for a third visit soon.

No comments: