Wednesday, June 3, 2009

CONDUIT

Conduit, a relatively new modern American style restaurant in the Mission area, caught my eye a while back for it's interior design. It's done by the Stanley Saitowitz/ Natoma group, the architect responsible for the gorgeous Yerba Buena Lofts on Folsom and the controversial Beth Sholom synagogue in the outer Richmond. I'm a big fan
and still wish I had made the move into YBL when I had the chance. The restaurant is definitely striking with it's interlocking pipes, dark woods and clean lines. The bathroom is partially unisex, only the minimalist frosted-glass covered stalls are marked men and women. I know alot of folks aren't fans of this type of sterile modernism, but I find it relaxing and peaceful. Nothing fancy or overly precious.


<--shared sinks and faucets


Oh yeah, they serve food here, really delicious food actually. Chef Justin Deering apparently worked at Boulevard and Fifth Floor, and the food served here is certainly comparable in my opinion. I had the scallop risotto as my first course and black cod for my main. Both were first rate, flavorful and cooked just right. The desert was somewhat disappointing however, a rather dry almond cake. I should have had the pot-de-creme which the waiter recommended first. The wait staff were very friendly and knowledgable, and even gave me tips on which angle to shoot my pictures! The menu is written in sparse terms only, like some haiku poem. Just ask the waiters for further clarification. Sometimes minimalism can be carried too far.


280 Valencia St. SF CA 94103 415.552.5200

No comments: